A Taste of Fall
Fall comes with some of the tastiest foods of the year– everything apple, pumpkin, cinnamon, and spice! Take the fall food inspiration and use it to your healthy advantage. I’ve collected some of my favorite recipes and ideas below:
Apples are a great source of fiber, they give you plenty of antioxidants, and they decrease your cholesterol levels. Here are some ideas of how to harness the health powers of apples this fall:
- Salad: add apples into your salad with spinach, kale, walnuts, dried cranberries, blue cheese, etc. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/kale-apple-salad
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal: cut up some fresh apple into your oatmeal with a little bit of cinnamon and brown sugar. http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/healthy-apple-cinnamon-oatmeal-277638
- Apple Cheddar Sandwich: Make a vegetarian sandwich with sliced apple, cheddar cheese, lettuce, and dijon mustard on whole grain bread. https://cupofjo.com/2017/01/grilled-apple-cheddar-and-mustard-sandwich/
- Whole Wheat Apple Pancakes: Use whole wheat pancake mix and add apples and a drizzle of real maple syrup for sweetness. http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/whole-wheat-cinnamon-apple-pancakes-128257
- More apple classics: applesauce, apple juice, apples and peanut butter, etc.
Pumpkin has awesome health benefits that should be recognized all year round, however most people get especially in the mood for pumpkin at this time of year. Pumpkin is great for your heart health as it is a great potassium source. It is also a great source of fiber like apples and it has a ton of vitamin C. Here are some ideas to add pumpkin into your diet this fall:
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: don’t toss the pumpkin insides when you are carving them. Save the seeds, spread them along a pan with olive oil, and sprinkle salt and pepper over them– they are delicious! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/photos/reinvented-pumpkin-seeds-5-ways
- Pumpkin Oat Bread: a sweet pumpkin dish that is healthier that could be had for breakfast or dessert. https://naturallyella.com/pumpkin-oat-bread/
- Pumpkin Soup: it is the best fall comfort food– you can make with pumpkin puree at home or buy it from most stores. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9191/pumpkin-soup/
- Pumpkin Flax Muffins: make the breakfast muffin healthier by using a pumpkin and flax instead of making chocolate chip or coffee cake muffins. https://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/lunch-recipes/pumpkin-maple-flaxseed-muffins/
- Pumpkin Stuffed Ravioli: I buy this from my local Trader Joe’s, it is so easy to make, and all it needs is a little butter or tomato sauce on top! https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1892
Enjoy and fall in love with fall foods!